Belt Buckle : What is it?
Belt buckles close and adjust belts around the waist. They may include one or two interlocking pieces, attached to one or both ends of the belt. They are made of metal or plastic and are often decorative as well as functional. Most belts come with standard buckles, but users may also buy separate buckles for variety or to replace damaged buckles.
Kinds of Belt Buckles include the following:
- Tang buckles consist of a metal ring and one or two hinged flaps, called tangs, attached to its base.
- The belt fits through the ring and is secured by the tang, which is pushed through one of the buckle holes along the belt.
- They provide the most secure fit and are found in most leather belts.
- Snap buckles consist of two pieces – a hollow one with open sides and one with spring-driven clasps on either side. Each piece is attached to one end of the belt.
- The clasps are squeezed to fit into the hollow piece and snap back into place when they reach the hollow side, locking the two pieces together.
- They are usually made of plastic and are used on woven belts.
- Clip buckles are thin metal plates fitted over one end of the belt.
- The belt is inserted through a rail on the back and secured by a spring or magnetic clip.
- They are often heavily decorated and used with western style belts.
Size: Choose a belt buckle that is appropriate for your body size. Large buckles may look disproportionate on small frames, and small buckles may snap when used on large belts. Make sure it fits properly over your belt. Ask for a sizing chart at the shop to determine the right size for you.
Adjustment: Choose a belt buckle that allows you to adjust the fit of your belt. Snap buckles are usually non-adjustable, so use them only if your belt fits perfectly to begin with. Clip buckles usually offer the best adjustments since they can be clipped anywhere along the belt
|Are you a manufacturer or supplier? Be listed here! EMAIL US|
|Do you have something to add to this guide? If your suggestion passes our editorial standards, we will add it in and acknowledge you as a contributor.|
recommended belt buckles