Cowboy Hat : What is it?
Cowboy hats, also called Stetsons, have wide brims and pinched rounded crowns. They are used to block sunlight and protect the wearer’s eyes when working outdoors. They are slightly stiff and are usually made of felt or straw. The brims are worn in different styles – some are upturned at the side, others are pulled down like bucket hats, while others are straight and flat.
Kinds of Cowboy Hats include the following:
Felt cowboy hats
- Felt cowboy hats are thick and provide excellent protection against UV rays.
- They are also very durable, making them ideal for everyday use.
- They lack ventilation and may be uncomfortable to wear under harsh sunlight.
Straw cowboy hats
- Straw cowboy hats are made of loose woven strips, usually coated with lacquer to make them stiff and hold their shape.
- They are very breathable and provide ample ventilation on hot days.
- They allow sunlight to stream in through the weave, offering poor protection against glare and sunburns.
Half-breed cowboy hats
- Half-breed cowboy hats have felt brims and snow crowns.
- They allow air to circulate over the head while keeping out the sun’s rays.
- They are ideal for areas where the weather is hot for most of the year.
|Stiffness: Choose a moderately stiff cowboy hat that fits comfortably over your head. The hat should be just stiff enough to hold its shape, but not rigid. Avoid those with hard crowns because they have poor ventilation. Look for a soft felt hat with a flexible crown and brim.|
Brim size: Choose a cowboy hat with a large brim to better protect against sunlight. If you are buying a straw hat, make sure the weave is tight to reduce UV penetration. The best brim size is four to six inches for regular outdoor use.
recommended cowboy hats