Waterproof Keyboard : What is it?
Waterproof keyboards resist damage from water, dust, and other contaminants. Their switches are sealed with conductive membranes that prevent water from entering while allowing current to pass through. They are designed to withstand prolonged use in hostile environments, such as factories, hospitals, and laboratories. Most waterproof keyboards are lightweight and portable, making them suitable for laptops, PDAs, and tablet PCs.
Kinds of Waterproof Keyboards include the following:
- Washable keyboards have a smooth silicone or rubber base that keeps water and dirt from sticking to the surface.
- They are usually flexible and can be rolled up when not in use.
- They are ideal for very wet environments like marine laboratories and swimming pools.
Rigid waterproof keyboards
- Rigid waterproof keyboards are made of hard silicone and designed to resist heat, pressure, and impact.
- They come in very compact designs and often resemble laptop keyboards, where the numeric keypad is joined with the right-hand letter keys.
- They are commonly used in industrial applications such as engineering and product testing.
Integrated waterproof keyboards
- Integrated waterproof keyboards have slide pads or trackballs built into the case.
- They usually have wrist rests and numeric keypads, which makes them bulkier than rigid and washable keyboards.
- They are available in flexible or rigid silicone frames.
|Connectivity: Choose a waterproof keyboard that fits into available slots in your computer. Common connectors are the USB, PS/2, and 9-pin ports. USB keyboards have the best compatibility, but make sure there are extra ports on the computer for other peripheral devices.|
Key press: Make sure the keys are light and easy to press. Flexible frames may be more difficult to operate because the base is less stable. Look for soft plastic keys for easier key press on flexible keyboards.
recommended waterproof keyboards