Alcohol Detector : What is it?
An alcohol detector is a handheld device used for identifying the blood alcohol concentration (BAC) in the body. It consists of a mouthpiece where the user blows, a chamber that holds the breath for analysis, and a LED display showing the BAC value or range. Powered by batteries, it commonly uses sensors to get accurate BAC readings.
Kinds of Alcohol Detectors include the following:
- The Breathalyzer is the most common type of alcohol detector available in the market.
- It is commonly used by law enforcement officers.
- It consists of three parts: a mouthpiece and two glass vials that measure chemical reaction mixtures and dichromate and alcohol reaction.
- It works by mixing the person's breath with several substances such as sulfuric acid, silver nitrate, potassium dichromate, and water. When the mixture reacts, it is compared to an unreacted mixture, causing the needle to move. The needle is returned to its original place by turning a knob on the device. The alcohol level is determined by the number of turns made until the needle returns to its original position.
- The Intoxilyzer uses infrared spectroscopy to identify particles associated with alcohol drinking.
- The alcohol level is determined by measuring the change of wavelengths and ethanol absorption of the infrared.
- It has an a small LCD screen displaying the BAC readings.
- The Alcosensor uses full cells made up of platinum electrodes and acid-electrolytes.
- The electrons in the alcohol molecules flow from the first electrode to the other.
- As the protons get oxidized, the electrical current is measured to calculate the alcohol level.
- It has a small screen LCD screen displaying the BAC readings.
|LCD screen: Choose an alcohol detector with an LCD screen for displaying the BAC readings digitally. It should have a backlight feature that allows you to use it at night or in the dark.|
Mouthpiece: Choose an alcohol detector that comes with at least five pieces of extra mouthpieces, so you do not have to buy them separately.
recommended alcohol detectors