Dental Floss : What is it?
Dental floss is used to remove food, plaque, and other contaminants from between the teeth. It is made of thin strands of nylon or plastic loosely bundled into a ribbon. It is usually sold in spools in a plastic case, or as a single strand stretched over a handheld stick. Dental floss comes in many variants, including flavored, waxed, and round or flat varieties.
Dental floss is used by curving the strand against the side of the tooth and rubbing to dislodge the plaque. The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends flossing at least once a day.
Kinds of Dental Floss include the following:
- Flattened floss is made of several strands pressed into a wide, thin ribbon.
- They provide more surface contact with the tooth, making them effective for removing hard, clinging dirt.
- They are usually woven together to prevent them from fraying and snapping.
- Ultra floss is made of light interlocked fibers creating a soft, spongy strand.
- They are designed to compress to fit into tight spaces, and spring back to trap plaque within the fibers.
- They also clean without applying too much pressure, making them ideal for people with sensitive gums.
- Round floss is made from nylon filaments twisted or braided together.
- They are used for removing fine particles and fitting into very tight spaces.
- They are thinner than flat and ultra floss, but are tightly bonded to prevent them from fraying.
- Superfloss is made up of segments combining various floss shapes, including a regular and spongy floss.
- They also include stiffer segments that serve as a threader for easier inserting between the gaps.
- They are ideal for people with irregular tooth gaps.
|Thickness: Choose a thick, sturdy dental floss with a tight weave. Make sure it can fit easily between your teeth. If you have small tooth gaps, choose a waxed or Teflon floss for added lubrication.|
Texture: Choose a smooth dental floss with no bumps or knots along the strands. Make sure the strands are firmly bonded and will not fray, because loose strands can cut the gums. Look for one with a slick surface to allow it to slide more easily between the teeth.
|Are you a manufacturer or supplier? Be listed here! EMAIL US|
|Do you have something to add to this guide? If your suggestion passes our editorial standards, we will add it in and acknowledge you as a contributor.|
recommended dental floss