Microwave : What is it?
A microwave oven (or simply ‘microwave’) is a kitchen appliance that employs microwave radiation to heat or cook food. Microwaving is a fast and easy way to prepare food, and that is why a microwave is a staple in most households. This machine is especially convenient for those leading fast-paced lives. There are also commercial microwaves available designed to have high capacity for heating larger quantities of food. Many chefs find microwaves to have limited use, however, because they does not allow a certain type of browning to occur – the Maillard reaction — due to their temperature range.
Kinds of Microwaves include the following:
- The standard microwave oven allows the user to heat and cook by microwave only.
- It has a circular tray that spins around inside the microwave to evenly distribute heat.
- It can be used to defrost, reheat, and cook food.
- There are special cookware, sold in the market, for cooking microwave meals.
Standard microwave with grill
- The standard microwave with grill has all the functions of a standard microwave with an additional internal grill fitting.
- It can be used to defrost, heat, and cook like a standard microwave, or exclusively as a grill to brown and crisp food.
- The combination oven combines a microwave, a grill, and a convection or hot-air oven.
- These functions can be used independently or together.
|Size: Choose a family-sized microwave if you are going to use it for your family. It should be able to accommodate a roast or a large stew. A compact oven, on the other hand, is more convenient for dorms, small apartments, and one- to two-person setups. |
Power: The higher the wattage, the more power the oven has, and the faster the food will cook. However, also consider efficiency and your electric bill.