Pearl Earring : What is it?
Pearl earrings are ear adornments made with cultured pearls derived from Australia, Asia, and the South Pacific. They come in stud, drop, and chandelier styles suitable for casual and formal occasions. The pearls used in these earrings have a diameter of two to 20 millimeters. They come in assorted colors such as white, black, pink, green, silver, and gray.
Kinds of Pearl Earrings include the following:
Australian pearl earrings
- Australian pearl earrings are made of the highest quality and rarest pearls.
- The pearls are eight to 18 millimeters in diameter. They do not require skinning, tinting, bleaching, or dying.
- They are available in natural shapes such as drop and round in silver, gold, white, blue, and pink. They also come in rare shapes like Keshi, Baroque, button, and circle.
- They are the most expensive types of pearl earrings.
South Sea pearl earrings
- South Sea pearl earrings come in traditional black and white colors.
- White South Sea pearls originate from Indonesia, the Philippines, and Australia. They are eight to 20 millimeters in diameter.
- Black South Sea pearls come from the South Pacific including Tahiti, French Polynesia, and the Cook Islands.
Tahitian pearl earrings
- Tahitian pearl earrings are made with cultured pearls in dark gray, silver, black, or light gray.
- The pearls commonly come in drop shapes with a diameter of seven to 15 millimeters.
- Some Tahitian pearl earrings are made with rare greenish black (peacock green) pearls.
Akoya pearl earrings
- Akoya pearl earrings are made with classic cultured pearls in a simple oval or round shape.
- They are available in silvery blue, cream, and light pink.
- Akoya pearls are cultured in China and southwestern Japan.
- They have a diameter of two to 10 millimeters.
Keshi pearl earrings
- Keshi pearl earrings are made with free-form pearls that resulted from the combined culturing of South Sea and Akoya pearls.
- They are available in silvery gray and white.
- Keshi pearls have no definite shape and size.
Mabe pearl earrings
- Mabe pearl earrings are made with pearls with a unique iridescent shade.
- They feature pearls in half sizes in heart, drop, cushion, and oval shapes.
- Most mabe pearls are cultured from the silver-lipped oysters of the South Sea.
Chinese freshwater pearl earrings
- Chinese freshwater pearl earrings come in a variety of colors including violet, orange, pure white, and silvery blue.
- They are available in assorted shapes like button, oval, baroque, and drop.
- The feature pearls with an average diameter of 10 millimeters.
|Metal fixtures: Choose pearl earrings set in platinum or sterling silver fixtures for everyday casual use. For evening or formal occasions, choose a pair set in gold fixtures. |
Backings: If you do not have pierced ears, choose pearl earrings with clip-on backings that easily fasten to your earlobes.
Style: For daytime activities, choose stud pearl earrings that would not snag on your hair or clothing.
recommended pearl earrings