Label Printer : What is it?
Label printers print text and graphics on self-adhesive label stock. They are used to label store merchandise and other items for storage, shipping, and general identification. Label printers use either thermal transfer (TT) or direct thermal (DT) methods to create prints. In TT printers, a coated ribbon runs below the print head and is pressed to melt ink over the paper. DT printers have no ribbons, so that the print head applies direct the label material. This causes a chemical reaction that ncauses specific patterns on the paper to turn black. Most label printers have an aligment mechanism that follows breaks in the roll stock to ensure uniform prints.
Kinds of Label Printers include the following:
Desktop label printers
- Desktop label printers are designed for semi-permanent use and for light- to medium-duty applications.
- They operate quietly and can print on labels up to four inches wide.
Commercial label printers
- Commercial label printers have higher print speeds and are suitable for medium volume printing.
- They can hold and print on larger label stocks up to eight inches wide.
Industrial label printers
- Industrial label printers are designed for continuous operation and heavy-duty use.
- They are commonly used in factories, warehouses, and distribution centers.
- RFID readers can print on printable covers on RFID tags used for radio frequency tracking.
- They are used to identify RFID tags in retail items, cars, and toll booths.
Label printer applicators
- Label printer applicators automatically apply labels after printing
- They are commonly used in manufacturing and to label containers for shipping.
- Label software comes with a computer program or driver that allows customized input.
- They also facilitate data transfer for easy formatting and faster printing.
|Print speed: Choose a label printer that prints about 12 inches per second on standard four-inch labels. Make sure the prints are perfectly aligned even at high-speed settings. Look for one with selectable speeds and resolutions id you work with different sizes of label stock.|
Input: Choose a label printer that connects to a computer for data transfer and input. Look for one with both text and graphic input if you print large product and shipping labels.
recommended label printers