Aquarium Hood : What is it?
Aquarium hoods protect aquariums from dust, dirt, and falling objects. They are placed a few inches above the aquarium roof, usually attached to a wall or part of an aquarium cabinet. They also prevent other pets, such as cats and ferrets, from jumping into the aquarium and harming the fish. Most aquarium hoods are also decorative an may be installed with lights.
Kinds of Aquarium Hoods include the following:
|Wooden aquarium hoods|
- Wooden aquarium hoods may be made of solid wood or fiberboard.
- They are fairly attractive and easy to match with home décor.
- They are heavier than other hood types. Solid wood also tends to warp if not well-constructed and protected.
- They are also easily damaged by water and the moist heat coming from the aquarium.
Plastic aquarium hoods
- Plastic aquarium hoods are cheap, lightweight, and easy to install.
- They look less attractive than wood and metal, but they allow faster installation of lighting fixtures.
- They are not very sturdy, but can be used on both freshwater and saltwater tanks.
Metal aquarium hoods
- Metal aquarium hoods are usually made of powder-coated aluminum.
- The coating provides have a smooth, shiny texture and protects against saltwater corrosion.
- They heat up quickly from the aquarium heat and lighting fixture, but are easily cooled with ventilation systems.
|Lighting option: Choose an aquarium hood with a curved top if you want to install aquarium lights. A small panel in front of the bulb creates a stylish recessed look. Look for one with pre-drilled holes for wiring and mounting for easier installation.|
Finish: Choose an aquarium hood with a protective finish to prevent corrosion, rusting, and other forms of damage. For metal hoods other than powder-coated aluminum, look for a polyurethane lacquer finish to protect the surface.
|Are you a manufacturer or supplier? Be listed here! EMAIL US|
|Do you have something to add to this guide? If your suggestion passes our editorial standards, we will add it in and acknowledge you as a contributor.|
recommended aquarium hoods