Bird Perch : What is it?
A bird perch is the horizontal pole where birds stand and exercise their feet. It is set inside a birdcage using notches, cap ends, or wing bolts and washers. It is available in softwood, rope, plastic, hardwood, and cement types.
Kinds of Bird Perches include the following:
Softwood bird perch
- This type of bird perch is made of softwood in the form of a wooden dowel.
- It is available in hardware, pet, and lumber stores.
- It comes in different diameters and lengths to suit any bird size.
- Its cap ends are made of plastic.
- It is easy to clean.
- However, its soft material makes it easy to break.
Rope bird perch
- A rope bird perch is made of thick cotton or sisal rope twisted for durability.
- Its diameter is constant from end to end.
- It is twisted well to prevent the birds’ claws from snagging it.
- It can come in a more rugged design that promotes bird exercise.
Plastic bird perch
- A plastic bird perch is made of PVC or acrylic.
- It is commonly found in parakeet, finch, and canary cages.
- The nongrooved type can be slippery.
- The inexpensive type is usually made of weak plastic that can be easily damaged by pecking.
Hardwood bird perch
- A hardwood bird perch is made of hardwood like manzanita, dragonwood, ribbonwood, and grapevine.
- It is more durable than a softwood perch, as it is difficult to break or chew.
- Some types have slippery barks that can be dangerous for some bird species.
- It is available in different diameters and lengths.
Cement bird perch
- This types of bird perch is made of durable and heavy cement.
- It keeps the birds’ toenails dull.
- However, its uniform diameter does not promote bird exercise while its rough surface can cause foot problems.
|Rope fibers: Choose a rope bird perch with tightly twisted fibers to prevent your bird's feet from getting caught in them.|
Grooved surface: When choosing a synthetic bird perch such as plastic or cement, make sure it has a grooved surface for traction.
Compatibility: Choose a bird perch that can support your bird’s weight and size. A cement wood perch is ideal for large birds, but it easily breaks when dropped.
|Are you a manufacturer or supplier? Be listed here! EMAIL US|
|Do you have something to add to this guide? If your suggestion passes our editorial standards, we will add it in and acknowledge you as a contributor.|
recommended bird perches