Bird Seed : What is it?
Bird seed is food given to ground-feeding or tree-dwelling birds. It is made of organic substances like corn, peanut, and flower seeds. It is served on the ground, in platform feeders, or in feeding cylinders. It is available in corn, millet, milo, safflower, nyjer, sunflower, peanut, and mixed varieties.
Kinds of Bird Seeds include the following:
Corn bird seed
- Corn bird seed is made of dehydrated corn kernels.
- It is ideal for quails, turkeys, pheasants, pigeons, and doves.
- It can also be fed to small birds such as sparrows, blackbirds, and finches.
Millet bird seed
- Millet bird seed is available in white and red varieties.
- It is ideal for ground feeding sparrows, juncos, and doves.
- It can also attract foreign bird species such as House Sparrows and European Starlings.
Milo bird seed
- Milo bird seed is made up round and reddish seeds called sorghum.
- It is commonly used in birdseed mixes or fillers.
- It can grackles, cowbirds, and starlings.
Safflower bird seed
- Safflower bird seed is ideal for feeding doves, gosbeaks, cardinals, and sparrows.
- It is more expensive than sunflower seeds.
- It can help ward off squirrels, House Sparrows, and starlings.
Nyjer bird seed
- Nyjer bird seed is called thistle seed.
- It attracts redpolls, goldfinches, and siskins.
- It is expensive.
- It is best placed in a thistle seed feeder to prevent it from spilling and discourage large birds from feeding.
Sunflower bird seed
- Sunflower bird seed is great for feeding birds that live in trees.
- It has a high fat and meat-to-shell ratio content.
- Small birds like chickadees feed well on the black variety because its thin shells are easy to crack.
- Its striped variety has thicker coats that can be hard for small birds to feed on.
Peanut bird seed
- Peanut bird seed comes in whole and shelled types.
- It is ideal for feeding cardinals, woodpeckers, chickadees, titmice, nuthatches, sparrows, and jays.
- It is served in a special cylindrical peanut feeder.
Mixed bird seed
- Mixed bird seed contains large amounts of millet.
- It is ideal for ground feeders.
- Also called wild bird seed, it can be placed on a platform feeder or scattered on the ground.
|Bird type: Choose bird seed that can attract the type of birds you want to lure. |
Compatibility: Make sure the bird seed you want to buy is compatible with your bird’s size and beak.
recommended bird seeds