Drift Boat : What is it?
Drift boats, also called Mackenzie river dorys, are sea vessels used for fly and river fishing. With a length of 14 to 18 feet long, they have rigid hulls, upswept prows, and flat bottoms. They can seat two to four passengers depending on their weight capacity. They have provisions for storing fishing tools and equipment as well as holders for fishing rods.
Kinds of Drift Boats include the following:
|Low profile drift boats|
- Low profile drift boats are ideal for fly fishing.
- They usually have tunnel hulls for easy handling.
- They have storage compartments beneath the bow and rowers bench, pedestal storage seatings in the rear and front areas, fly line friendly knee braces in the rear and front, and anchor systems mounted on the floor.
- They can also have fly rod holders.
Weight forward drift boats
- Weight forward drift boats have bottom-formed tunnels that lower the transom areas, effectively decreasing the standing wave pushing effects.
- They are lifted up as waves pass through the tunnels.
- They are made with rounded chines that keep them secure while maneuvering through tough water obstacles.
- They are made with tackle pockets in the leg brace-equipped front decks and storage compartments beneath the decks and at the rear end.
- Their bench rowing seats are adjustable. They have split hatch lids and tractor seats.
|Hull design: Look for a drift boat with a rounded stern to maintain normal water flow when water flows underneath the boat. Do not get a drift boat with a blunt or sharp back end, as it can cause drag when the water becomes turbulent. |
Bottom design: Choose a drift boat with a rigid and flat bottom that helps lift it on the water. Do not got one with a flexible bottom, as it can cause turbulence and drag.
Boat length: Choose a 14-foot drift boat when if you intend to fish in a small body of water. On the other hand, look for one with a length of 16 to 18 feet for use on a large body of water. Also, determine the number of passengers you intend to carry when choosing its length.
recommended drift boats